Upper School Principal at Ramaz School (New York, NY)
In the heart of New York City is Ramaz - a Jewish Day School with a rich history of Jewish education, academic distinction, and nurturing of individual abilities and aspirations. To be a student at Ramaz is to be encouraged, supported, and taught how to discover the best in oneself and in others, and to gain a profound, spirited sense of responsibility to the world.
Located on three campuses on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, our school serves more than a thousand students from Nursery through 12th grade in a vibrant and supportive community. Now in its 85th year, we enjoy a reputation for excellence both locally and internationally.
About the Job
In this role, you will:
- Bring together all faculty to examine and enhance the curriculum to help ensure relevance and student preparedness for the 21st century and for their future roles as active members and leaders of the Jewish community.
- Inspire an environment of learning that gives students Torah knowledge and values, text-based tools, and excitement to engage fully in Jewish life as active and observant Jews.
- Foster pride among faculty, students, parents, and the greater community by articulating promoting the value and differentiation of the Ramaz experience.
- Steward the mission in ways that support our students’ continued success and our school’s competitiveness in a region with strong educational alternatives.
- Set clear goals, expectations, and accountability with team members to ensure achievement of goals as well as consistency and transparency in all types of communication.
- Provide management and oversight that ensures that Upper School operations, budgeting, and programming are organized, efficient, and cost-effective.
- Partner with other divisions and departments to help clarify and align the Ramaz educational journey.
- Build effective relationships by interacting positively with the many people who interact with Ramaz.
- Be a highly visible presence in the school community, inspiring students and parents through direct communication, teaching, and speaking.
- Nurture a warm, embracing, and dynamic culture that inspires positivity and dedication to recruit and retain engaged, motivated students, and top-tier faculty and staff.
You have a record of success as a leader. You specialize in initiating and managing change, and you build effective, well-functioning teams. You are perceptive and knowledgeable, a strong communicator, listener, and relationship-builder with internal and external partners. You can communicate the Ramaz mission adeptly and authentically.
Additionally, you understand and appreciate the complexities and joys of leading a school community grounded in Modern Orthodox values while welcoming families from varying levels of observance.
We believe you have:
- A master’s degree in education or related field (preferred).
- 10+ years of strong leadership and management experience in similar school setting – both in and out of the classroom.
- Excellent pedagogical skills including the capacity to plan, initiate, lead, and develop education and teaching in both general and subject-specific knowledge of student learning – to uphold the centrality of the rigorous learning process at Ramaz.
- Experience fostering a student-centered educational and social-emotional philosophy.
- Embody and set high ethical standards.
- Proven record of leading, motivating and developing excellent teams and processes.
- Demonstrated success in program development and implementation.
- Experience with the budgeting process and a demonstrated commitment to work within financial and budget requirements.
- The demonstrated ability to build trust through excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
- Exceptional oral, written, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
Compensation and Application
First-year compensation $260,000 - $300,000 plus benefits, commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include paid time off, medical, dental and vision insurance, retirement plan, relocation, tuition benefits for any eligible children, and more in accordance with the Ramaz Employee Handbook!
Ramaz is proud to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Please apply online by February 15, 2023 for immediate consideration or email Lydia Musher (lydia@TraditionSearchPartners.com) with any questions. Thank you.